The Foundation 10 Week Guide Course
Empower yourself with knowledge, skills, and confidence!
This 10 – week Apprentice Field Guide qualification is the foundation of our Career Orientated courses. Our Foundation Guide Course focuses on coaching and developing you, the learner, with the necessary guiding skills to be competent to enter the guiding industry at an introductory level. Each week focuses on a specific set of outcomes and subjects which are evaluated at the end of each week.
Our approach to the Foundation Guide Course is outcome-based and focuses on practical and interpretive guiding skills. The Ulovane team believes that by empowering you with the knowledge above and beyond the field guide syllabus, the learner is equipped with the added confidence necessary to enter the guiding industry.
This course is a great experience as a part of a gap year! If you want to learn more about what it takes to be a guide and work in the Eco-Tourism industry then this is the perfect opportunity.
The following subjects will be covered during the Foundation Guide Course:
- Guiding Skills
- Weather and Climate
- Biomes of Southern Africa
- Plants and Grasses
- Animal Behaviour
- Historical Human Habitation
- Conservation Management
There are weekly exams that take place on a Sunday morning, in which each week’s modules are covered. These exams ensure that you are on track to write the national FGASA exam at the end of week 10. Sunday afternoon will be your own time for Sunday Funday.
In addition to the FGASA Apprentice Field Guide curriculum Ulovane added the following modules to enhance the guiding skills of our learners and to prepare them thoroughly for the ecotourism industry:
- Vehicle skills and 4X4 Driving skills
- Tracking skills
- Wilderness First Aid Level 2 – Presented by Doug Lang from Medwise Safety Services
- Hospitality skills
- Presentation and Interpretive skills
- Photographic skills
The learners will host real guests visiting the Reserve during their preparation and final practical game drive assessments. This gives the learners a real opportunity to make use of their newly gained knowledge and skills which are difficult to simulate with their peers.
The final two Weeks of the Foundation Guide Course include a final practical, theoretical, and interview assessment.
- Apprentice Field Guide Skills Program (NQF2)
- Wilderness Level Two First Aid Certificate
- Accommodation for the duration of the course
- Conservation Fees
- All meals for the duration of the course
- Uniform provided
- All FGASA Fees (assessment, exam, subscription, registration, moderation, manuals, workbooks, logbooks, prescribed literature, and certification) for the duration of the course
- Formal and Practical Tuition for all the subjects
- Conducting necessary FGASA liaison on your behalf, for the duration of your course
- 10 October – 18 December 2021 (1 SPOT LEFT)
- 17 January – 26 March 2022
- 11 April – 18 June 2022
- 04 July – 10 September 2022
- 26 September – 03 December 2022
- Please CONTACT US for Rates.
To enquire fill out the Online Enquiry Form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.