Essential 17 Week Guide Course
The Essential Guide Course has been developed to suit the needs of anyone who has a desire to work in the tourism industry either as an Apprentice Field or Apprentice Trails Guide.
Over a period of 17 weeks, you, the learner, will be immersed in the structured and focused learning of the knowledge and skills required to enter the guiding industry as an Apprentice Field Guide (NQF2) and an Apprentice Trails Guide.
The approach we take to all our career-orientated courses is outcome-based, with the courses focused on coaching and developing the learner with the necessary guiding skills to be competent to enter the guiding industry at an introductory level.
Each week of the courses is structured on a specific set of outcomes and subjects which are evaluated at the end of the week. The layout of the courses is carefully adapted according to the necessary development of the learner.
The Ulovane team believes that by empowering you with the knowledge above and beyond the Field Guide syllabus, it gives you the added confidence necessary to enter the guiding industry. The Apprentice Trails Guide qualification is designed for the individual who is exceptionally tuned into nature, with above-average alertness in the bush. Being a Trails Guide who conducts walking safaris must not be taken lightly. It is important that you understand the level of maturity and responsibility that comes with the job title. Dealing with upset and dangerous African animals, while being responsible for an inexperienced group of people is not for the faint-hearted.
- The Foundation Guide Course (10 Weeks) Includes: Wilderness First Aid Level 2 Certificate
- Apprentice Trails Guide Course (7 Weeks) Includes: Relevant PFTC Unit Standards (Rifle Proficiency), Advanced Rifle Handling, Training and Evaluation of Tracking Skills and 4 weeks mentored walking hours. (Changing to 6 Weeks in January 2022)
***There is a 2-week break between the Apprentice Field and Apprentice Trails Guide courses.
- Accommodation for the duration of the course
- Conservation Fees
- All meals for the duration of the course
- Uniform provided
- All FGASA Fees (assessment, exam, subscription, registration, moderation, manuals, workbooks, logbooks, prescribed literature, and certification) for the duration of the course
- Formal and Practical Tuition for all the subjects
- Conducting necessary FGASA liaison on your behalf, for the duration of your course
- 11 October – 19 December 2021 return in January 2022 for Apprentice Trails Guide Course. (1 SPOT left)
- 17 January – 21 May 2022
- 11 April – 13 August 2022
- 04 July – 05 November 2022
- 26 September – 03 December and Return in January 2023
Please CONTACT US for Rates.
To enquire fill out the Online Enquiry Form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.