Marine Guide Course Information
To enquire fill out the Online Enquiry Form and we will get back to you as soon as possible
Marine Guide 4 Week Course
The beach is calling and you should go!!
This 4-week course introduces you, the learner, to the coastal marine environment. The course is designed for learners who have already achieved the Apprentice Field Guide qualification, who wish to now specialize in the Marine Environment. We also welcome nature enthusiasts who just want to learn more about the marine environment, from shells to tides, to birds, fish, and everything in between.
The course is undertaken along the beautiful sunshine coast situated in the Eastern Cape. This is an area rich in marine species diversity and boasts the largest dune fields in South Africa. In addition, it is one of the best whale-watching locations in the world. The marine environment is the most important ecosystem on earth and the more you know, the more you will come to understand this.
On completion of the course, the learner will be able to enhance their own guiding portfolio, thus opening a whole new world that links the marine and the terrestrial environment. The course will be facilitated by Marine guiding specialists.
We would like you to be prepared for your course on arrival and will send your books as soon as the deposit is received so that you can start work on your workbooks.
5 Reasons Why you should do this course:
- When one spends a considerable amount of time on any beach you really start to realize how amazing and complex this big beautiful blue planet really is. The diversity and complexity that the marine habitat offers is truly astonishing. Time spent on the coastline really opens your eyes and there is something about the waves crashing, the smell of the oceans, and the sand under your feet that grabs your inner soul and almost reawakens you.
- If you are a person and have a love for wildlife in all its diversity your main aim is to protect it and share it with the world. To make people realize how lucky we are to be here and are able to understand and interpret what`s going on. The more people we can have doing this the better we can protect our coastlines. From people doing the marine side of things, they have the knowledge and skills which are needed to ensure that all of this lasts and is able to thrive to new heights. They are also able to explain to people the complexity and threats which occur within the marine environment.
- If you are a person with a never-ending hunger for knowledge, here is where you need to be. From understanding how our currents & tides work, delving into different types of Algae, understanding different organisms found within the wide range of habitats and their adaptations on how they survive there, Birds of different groups, mammals, reptiles…It is ENDLESS and truly incredible. It makes you realize how astonishing nature is and how she has overcome multiple challenges.
- Being a marine guide you are really set apart from other guides. People need to be multi-skilled and qualified in a wide range of topics in order to satisfy today`s endless need for knowledge. Having done this qualification opens a whole new unbelievable spectrum into which you can delve into with guests. Having the knowledge and skills will help you to be the best guide you can be and offer the guests the most unbelievable experience ever.
- Being on the beach and at one with the marine environment teaches you patience and respect and it breaks down the idea of selfishness. It really opens your eyes to what important, what`s needed, and as well as what should be done. You are able to develop your leadership skills, enhance your senses, situational awareness, and become enriched all around. Because it`s you, it`s me, it`s all of us.
The course outcomes include:
- Introduction to Marine guiding
- Coastal Marine Environments
- Geology and the coastal environment
- Coastal Weather and Climate
- Marine Ecology
- Marine Taxonomy
- Sea Plants
- Coastal and Marine invertebrates
- Marine Reptiles
- Marine Fish
- Marine Birds
- Marine Mammals
- Marine Animal behavior
- Historical Human Habitation of coastal environments
- Marine Conservation Management
- Coastal walks, exploring the intertidal rock pools, sandy shores, and dune areas
- Snorkeling, under the instruction of qualified Dive instructors.
- Rhodes fisheries department
- Estuarine boat trips
The Marine Guide Course will conclude with a practical, theoretical, and interview assessment.
The Marine Guide course will take place at our Beach house campus in Kleinemond. What better way to learn about the ocean, than with it right on your doorstep!
Share this course with someone
- Marine Guide Specialist Skills Program (NQF2)
- Marine Exam
- Marine field excursions onshore and offshore
- Marine Specialist Assessment
** There are weekly exams that take place every Sunday morning, in which each week’s modules will be covered. These exams ensure that you are on track to write the national FGASA exam at the end of week 4.
- 22 August – 17 September 2022
- 14 November – 10 December 2022
- Rates & Dates for 2023 – COMING SOON
- Accommodation for the duration of the course
- Conservation Fees
- All meals for the duration of the course
- Uniform provided
- All FGASA (assessment, exam, subscription, registration, moderation, manuals, workbooks, logbooks, prescribed literature, and certification) for the duration of the course
- Formal and Practical Tuition for all subjects
- Conducting necessary FGASA liason on your behalf, for the duration of your course