CONNECT ONLINE & ONSITE 15 Week GUIDE COURSE
The Connect Online & Onsite 15 week Apprentice Field Guide course creates a unique opportunity to develop your Career Orientated qualification with more flexible hours by conducting your theoretical training at home followed by concentrated and focused practical training at our Ulovane campus to prepare you for your final practical and theoretical evaluations.
This option to achieve your FGASA Apprentice Field Guide qualification consists of a structured 10-week Online Nature Enthusiast FGASA Certificate (theory module) followed by a 5-week practical onsite training and evaluations course at Ulovane campus on Amakhala Game Reserve.
The online portion of this FGASA accredited course is operated through the Ulovane E-Learning Portal.
The first part of this qualification consists of a 10-week Nature Enthusiast FGASA Certificate focusing on equipping you with the theory competence of the FGASA Apprentice Field Guide qualification. Each week focuses on a specific set of subjects which will include prepared tutorials, assignments, a webinar session with one of our dedicated and experienced trainers to revise what has been covered during the week and to assist with questions and queries.
Weekly submissions of completed workbook assignments and written exams each Sunday will contribute towards your overall course aggregate. This will evaluate your understanding of the week’s topics and will ensure that you are up to date with your personal development. It is important to take these weekly evaluations seriously because a minimum aggregate of 75% for the weekly evaluations is necessary to qualify for the 5-week practical onsite training course.
In the final week of your 10-week online course, you will have time to prepare for the FGASA Nature Enthusiast Certificate exam. Passing this exam will be your admission and ticket to join the Ulovane 5-Week (35 Days) Onsite Practical Training Course, at our campus based on Amakhala Game Reserve. This 5-Week Onsite Practical Training Course will guide you through your FGASA practical workbook assignments along with the Ulovane Thicket workbook and prepare you for your practical assessment as well as your final FGASA Apprentice Field Guide exam in order to obtain your accredited guiding qualification.
What happens once I have completed the Online Nature Enthusiast Certificate?
Once you have successfully completed the 10-week Nature Enthusiast online certificate you can choose from four starting dates, February, May, August, and November, to start your 5-week intensive practical training course to complete your guiding qualification.
The next 5 weeks will focus solely on your practical application of your 10-week online theoretical research and the development of your guiding skills in order for you to successfully complete your guiding qualification. This will include being out in the field as much as possible, connecting with nature, conducting your practical assessments, and finally write your FGASA theoretical examination.
Weekly completed workbook assignments and exams will once again contribute towards your overall course aggregate during your 5-week practical training module. These exams ensure that you are on track to write the national FGASA exam at the end of your 5-week practical onsite training.
The Connect Online & Onsite 15-week Apprentice Field Guide course is a great choice for those of you who cannot afford to break away for more than two months to follow the full-time Apprentice Field Guide course due to personal responsibilities, but who still want to receive the best training to obtain your guiding qualification.
This choice of obtaining your guiding qualification will require self-discipline and self-motivation to study and work independently during the 10 weeks online Nature Enthusiast certificate. You will have to be able to organize your time daily to ensure a minimum of two hours per day to spend on the online platform during the first 10-week online module.
The Ulovane team fully believes, that by having your theoretical workbooks and research completed before joining us for your 5-week practical onsite training you will have an incredible advantage and you will have the opportunity to interact with your fellow students and our experienced trainers who will be with you every step of the way.
PLEASE CONTACT US SHOULD YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS!
The following subjects will be covered during the Connect Online & Onsite 15-week course:
- Guiding Skills
- Creating a Guided Experience
- Grasses and Trees
- Animal Behaviour
- Historical Human Habitation
- Conservation Management
In addition to the FGASA Apprentice Field Guide curriculum Ulovane added the following modules to enhance your guiding skills and to prepare you thoroughly for the ecotourism industry:
- Vehicle skills and 4X4 Driving skills
- Tracking skills
- Wilderness First Aid Level 2 – Presented by Doug Lang from Medwise Safety
- Wild Flowers
- Hospitality skills
- Presentation and Interpretive skills
- Photographic skills
These subjects will be covered during onsite training.
Unique to Ulovane, you will host real visiting guests to the Reserve during your final practical game drive assessments. This gives you a real opportunity to make use of your newly gained knowledge and skills which are difficult to simulate with peers. A wonderful opportunity and experience to create real guided experiences for real guests.
Included in this qualification:
- FGASA Nature Enthusiast Certificate
- FGASA Apprentice Field Guide Skills Program (NQF2)
- Wilderness Level Two First Aid Certificate
- Online support and interaction on the Ulovane e-learning platform including: prepared lecture presentations, webinars, assignments, exam feedback sessions and interaction with other students and trainers on the platform,
- Accommodation and all food for the duration of the 5-week onsite training
- Conservation Fees
- Uniform provided
- All FGASA Fees including practical assessment, exam, annual subscription, registration, moderation, manuals, workbooks, logbooks, prescribed literature and certification for the duration of the course
- Lectures, discussion sessions, game drives, walks, learning activities plus formal and practical tuition on the beautiful and diverse Amakhala Game Reserve and Ulovane campus conducted by highly qualified and experienced trainers
- Organising all your Necessary FGASA liaison on your behalf, for the duration of your course
• 16 May – 19 June 2021 Practical Component at Ulovane Campus
• 24 May – 01 August 2021 Theory Component
• 15 August – 18 September 2021 Practical Component at Ulovane Campus
• 23 August – 31 October 2021 Theory Component
• 14 November – 18 December 2021 Practical Component at Ulovane Campus
Please CONTACT US for Rates.
To enquire fill out the Online Enquiry Form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.