The candidate must have a minimum of a Field Guide Skills Program to qualify for the Marine course
This 4-week course introduces you the learner to the coastal marine environment. The course is designed for learner’s who have already achieved a Field Guide or above Field Guiding qualification. The course is undertaken along the beautiful sunshine coast situated in the Eastern Cape. This is an area rich in marine species diversity and boasts the largest dune fields in South Africa. In addition, it is one of the best whale watching locations in the world. The marine environment is the most important ecosystem on earth and the more you know, the more you will come to understand this.
On completion of the course, the learner will be able to enhance their own guiding portfolio and open up a whole new world that links the marine and the terrestrial environment. The course will be facilitated by Marine guiding specialists.
The course outcomes include:
Introduction to Marine guiding
Coastal Marine Environments
Geology and the coastal environment
Coastal Weather and Climate
Coastal and Marine invertebrates
Marine Animal behaviour
Historical Human Habitation of coastal environments
Marine Conservation Management
The course will also include:
Coastal walks, exploring the inter tidal pools, sandy shores and dune areas
Snorkeling, under the instruction of qualified Dive instructors.
Rhodes fisheries department
Estuarine boat trips
** There are weekly exams, each weeks modules are covered in these exams, the exam takes place on a Sunday morning. These exams ensure that you are on track to write the national FGASA exam at the end of week 4.
This part of the course will conclude with a practical, theoretical and interview assessment.
- Marine Guide Specialist Skills Program (NQF2)
- Marine Exam
- Marine field excursions onshore and offshore
- Marine Specialist Assessment
- Accommodation for the duration of the course
- All Meals for the duration of the course
- Uniform Provided
- External Field Trips
- All FGASA Fees (assessment, exam, subscription, registration, moderation, manuals, workbooks, logbooks, prescribed literature, and certification) for the duration of the course
- Formal and Practical Tuition for all the subjects
- Organising all your FGASA liaison for you
- 28 May – 24 June 2018
- 27 August – 23 September 2018
- 19 November – 18 December 2018
- 04 March – 30 March 2019
- 27 May – 22 June 2019
- 26 August – 21 September 2019
- 18 November – 14 December 2019
PLEASE CONTACT US FOR RATES**
To apply, download the Application Form, or fill out the Online Application Form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.