This 4-week course introduces you the learner to the coastal marine environment. The course is designed for learner’s who have already achieved a the Apprentice Field Guide or above Field Guiding qualification. The course is undertaken along the beautiful sunshine coast situated in the Eastern Cape. This is an area rich in marine species diversity and boasts the largest dune fields in South Africa. In addition, it is one of the best whale watching locations in the world. The marine environment is the most important ecosystem on earth and the more you know, the more you will come to understand this.
On completion of the course, the learner will be able to enhance their own guiding portfolio and open up a whole new world that links the marine and the terrestrial environment. The course will be facilitated by Marine guiding specialists.
We would like you to be prepared for your course on arrival and will send your books as soon as the deposit is received so that you can start work on your workbooks.
The course outcomes include:
- Introduction to Marine guiding
- Coastal Marine Environments
- Geology and the coastal environment
- Coastal Weather and Climate
- Marine Ecology
- Marine Taxonomy
- Sea Plants
- Coastal and Marine invertebrates
- Marine Reptiles
- Marine Fish
- Marine Birds
- Marine Mammals
- Marine Animal behaviour
- Historical Human Habitation of coastal environments
- Marine Conservation Management
The course will also include:
- Coastal walks, exploring the intertidal pools, sandy shores and dune areas
- Snorkelling, under the instruction of qualified Dive instructors.
- Rhodes fisheries department
- Estuarine boat trips
** There are weekly exams, in which each week’s modules are covered in these exams, the exam takes place on a Sunday morning. These exams ensure that you are on track to write the national FGASA exam at the end of week 4.
This part of the course will conclude with a practical, theoretical and interview assessment.
- Marine Guide Specialist Skills Program (NQF2)
- Marine Exam
- Marine field excursions onshore and offshore
- Marine Specialist Assessment
- Accommodation for the duration of the course
- Conservation Fees
- All meals for the duration of the course
- Uniform provided
- All FGASA Fees (assessment, exam, subscription, registration, moderation, manuals, workbooks, logbooks, prescribed literature, and certification) for the duration of the course
- Formal and Practical Tuition for all the subjects
- Arranging Work Experience Placement for you
- Organising all your necessary FGASA liaison on your behalf, for the duration of your course
- 18 November – 14 December 2019
- 2 March – 28 March 2020
- 25 May – 20 June 2020
- 24 August – 19 September 2020
- 16 November – 12 December 2020
PLEASE CONTACT US FOR RATES**
To apply, download the Application Form, or fill out the Online Application Form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.