This 10 week course focuses on coaching and developing the learners with the necessary guiding skills to be competent to enter the guiding industry at an introductory level. Each week focuses on a specific set of outcomes and subjects which is evaluated at the end of each week.
Our approach to this 10 week FGASA Level 1 section is outcome based and focuses on practical and interpretive guiding skills. We believe, by empowering our learners with knowledge above and beyond the level 1 syllabus it gives our learners the added confidence necessary to enter the guiding industry.
The FGASA level one course is the foundation of our Career Focus courses.
The following subjects will be covered during the FGASA Level 1, 10 week section:
- An Introduction to the eco tourism industry
- Creating a Guided experience
- Field Guiding as a career
- Grasses and Trees
- Animal Behaviour
- Historical Human Habitation
- Conservation Management
In addition to the FGASA Level 1 curriculum Ulovane added the following subjects to enhance the guiding skills of our learners and to prepare them thoroughly for the eco tourism industry:
Vehicle skills and 4X4 Driving skills
First Aid Level 1
- We have also added valuable practical field trips during the course to enhance the experience of each learner by expanding their horizons while visiting a diversity of environments and meeting additional specialists.
- In addition to Amakhala and Ulovane Reserves the learners will also experience Addo Elephant National Park and the Addo Raptor and Reptile Center.
- The learners will host real guests visiting the Reserve during their preparation and final practical assessments. This gives the learners a real opportunity to make use of their newly gained knowledge and skills which is difficult to simulate with their peers.
This part of the course concludes with a final practical, theoretical and interview assessment.
- Level 1 Nature Guide Skills Program
- Wilderness First Aid Certificate
- Accommodation for the duration of the course
- Conservation Fees towards traversing on Amakhala
- All Meals for the duration of the course
- Uniform Provided
- External Field Trips
- All FGASA Fees (assessment, exam, subscription, registration, moderation, manuals, workbooks, logbooks, prescribed literature and certification) for the duration of the course
- Formal and Practical Tuition for all the subjects
- Organising all your FGASA liaison for you
- 16 July – 12 September 2015
- 28 September – 5 December 2015
To apply, download the Application Form, or fill out the Online Application Form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.